Our Summer Music Academy is a one-week concert band camp that provides an exciting program of daily classes and rehearsals along with a full program of recreational and social activities, including concerts, movie night, swimming, a variety show, a dance, and more.
Talented and dedicated instructors ensure that you will leave Acadia having enjoyed the week and having made significant personal progress with your instrument and musicianship. All concert band instrumentalists, beginner to advanced, youth or adult, are welcome to attend. We have a spot for you!
The Summer Music Academy provides exciting opportunities for all students, from the young instrumentalist to the advanced player. Daily group lessons on all wind and percussion instruments are complemented by full band rehearsals. Several levels of concert bands ensure that you receive a challenging and rewarding experience. Experienced players will also have opportunity to play in small chamber groups and/or prepare solo work with a collaborative pianist. The week concludes with a final concert on Sunday afternoon that is open to family, friends, and the public.
Our outstanding faculty of professional musicians includes Acadia School of Music faculty, as well as exceptional music teachers from across the Maritimes. In 2019, we are thrilled to welcome Amy Knopps to campus as our Guest Conductor. Amy comes to us from the University of Missouri - Columbia and she will work with our Maritime Youth Wind Ensemble this summer.
Students will arrive for registration on Monday afternoon.
At 6:30, all campers will meet at Denton Hall Auditorium to meet the camp faculty. Following this initial meeting, campers will be split into two groups.
Group 1 (These campers will not do band placement auditions, but will meet for their first class):
- Beginners (players who have never played their instruments before)
- Campers who have played their instruments for 1 year or less
- Returning campers who played in MYWE at camp last year
- Community band campers who have self-selected which ensemble they will be playing in this year
Group 2 (These campers will do band placement auditions):
- All student campers who have been playing their instruments for 2 years or more and who did not play in MYWE last year
- Any community band campers who wish to participate in band placement auditions
Note: All campers in Group 2 should bring a piece of music to play for faculty members (select a piece that highlights your playing ability) and be prepared to play scales of your choice and to sight read a brief selection.
There is an opportunity for experienced campers to perform a solo work in the chamber ensemble concert or before the final band concert. If you would like to take advantage of a solo performance opportunity please bring a solo (and the piano part, if available) with you to camp.
Is your instrument new to you? The Beginner Band is a great place to start. You will begin with the basics of music and by the end of the week, you will be playing with an entire band.
Level: You should be new to your instrument and be at least 10 years old. If you have played another wind instrument, and are switching to a new instrument, you may be considered for the next level.
Ron MacKay Band and Wilf Harvey Band
These bands will explore concepts including proper play position, tone, tonguing, ensemble playing, phrasing, breathing and basic theory. Students will enjoy unique and demanding rehearsal procedures and performance expectations. Generally speaking, these players will have one to three years of playing experience.
Level: Students placed in the Ron MacKay band will be performing music at the grade 1 - 2 level and members of the Wilf Harvey Band will be playing grade 2 - 3.5 music.
Maritime Youth Wind Ensemble (MYWE)
This high-level opportunity is for players who hunger for a rich, in-depth learning experience. The repertoire will be chosen from the finest literature available, selected and conducted by our guest conductor.
A professional pianist is on-hand to coach solo works and to help in performance preparation for exams, university auditions, or other performing opportunities at the camp.
In 2019, we are thrilled to welcome Amy Knopps to campus as our Guest Conductor for the MYWE group. Amy comes to us from the University of Missouri - Columbia.
Level: MYWE is for players seeking a superior wind band experience (woodwind, brass, percussion, and string bass players). These players will be comfortable with B400 music and have four or more years of playing experience.
Special features of the MYWE include:
- a schedule that is unique and completely separate from the regular camp program
- 2-3 rehearsal blocks per day
- master classes
- daily sectionals and coaching
- advanced instruction and lectures (i.e. audition preparation, dealing with performance stress, musical interpretation, analysis of repertoire, and more)
Performances During the Week
During band camp week we offer a number of concerts for our campers. If any parents/friends are in the area and would like to attend, please feel free to join us!
- Thursday, 6 PM @ Denton Hall
- Our amazing faculty will perform a variety of music – solos, small ensembles
- Friday, 7:30 PM @ Festival Theatre Building
- The professional quintet “Fifth Wind Quintet” have invited two additional artists to join them in presenting a fantastic concert entitled “Saturday Morning Cartoons”. Join us for this fun, memory-filled concert!
- Saturday, 10:50 AM @ Festival Theatre Building
- Our most experienced campers (MYWE) will perform chamber ensemble music as well as a few solo performances
- Saturday, 7:00 PM @ Festival Theatre Building
- Our MYWE group will perform a diverse range of band music they have worked on all week. From this more expansive list of repertoire, the MYWE group will select a few numbers to perform in the final concert on Sunday.
- Sunday, 1:30 PM @ Festival Theatre Building
- To celebrate the musical accomplishments of all our campers, we will present an all-camp concert on Sunday afternoon. Prior to the start, some of our musicians will offer prelude music. Concert performances will include selections from every ensemble plus a spectacular massed band number at the end of the concert, which will include every camper! This concert will be completed in less than two hours, so we invite you to sit back and enjoy the amazing musical talents of musicians ages 9 to 76!